View Tom's trip in a larger map

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Going home

I was hesitant about doing a blog at first.  I wasn't
sure how far I would make it and did not want to be bothered with keeping up with it everyday.  But I knew the memories would fade and I would regret not having a record of the trip.  I'm glad I did it. 
It doesn't seem possible that a 2 month trip like this could go as smoothly as it did.  I was never sick, injured or burned out at any time during the trip.  Any mechanical problems that I had were in convenient places where they could be fixed.  I had a total of maybe 6 hours of rain while I was on the bike.  Prolonged headwinds never materialized.  There were certainly challenging climbs but nothing insurmountable.  My gear worked out extremely well.  I don't think I lost any weight.  Going solo was a good thing for me.  I enjoyed the company of the people I rode with but I also enjoyed the time alone.  I can't really think of anything I would do differently.  Would I do it again?  Absolutely.   

Many thanks are due.  First my wife, who did not just tolerate this but supported it from the first conversation.  My parents, who may have been more excited about it than I was.  Jack and Elaine Crumpton,  friends who gave me a vacation within a vacation.  The many friends and family who told me they were praying for me.  I felt the support and protection everyday.  The folks at work who kept things on the right track while I was gone.  Marc and Greg, for giving me the time to try this.  All of the wonderful people that fed and housed me along the way.  Thank you all.     

Favorite places:  Telluride, Colorado.  first big valley in western Utah,  Blue Ridge Parkway,  Mt. Diablo California.

Least favorite place:  eastern Kentucky.

Best drivers:  Kansas.

Best meal:  The Wooden Nickel in Crested Butte, Colorado

Hardest climbs:  unnamed climb east of Hindman, Kentucky.  Afton, Virginia.  canyon west of Boulder, Utah.  Mt. Diablo,  California.

Flat tires:  3


No comments:

Post a Comment