View Tom's trip in a larger map

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 12

64 miles.   Hindman to Booneville.  Today felt like a rest day after the last 2 days.  I was finished by 3:00.  Still plenty of hills but only 2 climbs of more than 30 minutes.   I am staying at the Booneville Presbyterian Church  tonight.  They have a neat set up for long distance cyclists.  Everything you need, shelter, power and a cold water shower.  I met 2 couples on the road today.  They are doing the trip in sections of a couple of weeks per year.  We exchanged information on the trip ahead.  It sounds like I will have a nice day of riding tomorrow.  The coal truck pictured is one of the hundreds that has passed me in the past three days.  When they go by you feel the wind hit you like a wave.  Only a few dog chases today, none of them serious.  Yesterday it was like running the gauntlet.  I had fun talking to the ladies at the dairy bar at lunch.  They thought I was crazy to be riding these hills.  They might be right.  I'm at the Booneville public library now.  For a small town they have a very nice facility.  I ate at the local diner tonight and I have a Family Dollar a few blocks away so I can reload before I leave. 










 





7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear all your tales at Christmas!! Sounds like you are now a non-denominational Christian. LOL. We sure are enjoying the blogs and the pictures! Can't figure out what the picture of "Glazed " for $.69 is though. If only people trained their dogs like you did with Mollie and Annie it would make bicyclists happy. Hope the wind is always at your back & most of the hills are more down than up........

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of the honey bun was for my buddy Andy. This is what fueled him during his AT hike in 2007. He will know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your day is ending on such a nice note. Love all the churches out there! You still have so many great people to meet on your ride. Can't wait to hear about tomorrow's journey! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. No honey buns sold in Chicago, apparently. They are unforgettable. They are the "staff of life" for us growing up in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have another great day .... sounds like you are having a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are you holding up physically?

    ReplyDelete