View Tom's trip in a larger map

Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 6

47 miles.  Lexington to Troutville.  Shorter day today after all the climbing yesterday.  No big climbs today but several short steep ones that can sometimes be worse.  We got a little later start after breakfast.  I'm in a motel again tonight.  It has a computer so I can do a little more typing.  Using the phone to type on is agony for me.  The temperature got into the mid 90's by the time we stopped today.  Most of the ride was on very small roads with no traffic.  The past few days have been through very beautiful estate type farms around Charlottesville and then the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Today was mostly small rural communities. 
We stopped in Buchanan for lunch at a great old pharmacy.  They had the old time counter and juke box with 45's from the 1950's.  All of the food pictures are for the benefit of my wife and mother who don't think I ever eat enough.  None of the pictures are of my meals, they are just pictures I took of other people's food. 
While we were at the Cookie Ladies house in Afton I saw a note about a family in Radford that hosts Transam cyclists.  I called them this afternoon and we will try to stay with them tomorrow night.  I'm looking forward to meeting people like this. 
While we were on the Parkway yesterday we had a guy come over and talk to us at a rest stop.  When we told him where we were headed he got so excited.  I think when I'm back home I will tell people I'm riding to Alaska even when I'm only on my way home from work. 
 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the food pictures! I'm sitting here eating pita chips and spinach dip!! At least I'm not cooking!!!! I'm actually sitting on the patio during a rain storm. It is beautiful!!! Sounds like another great day!!! Sleep well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the pictures are of 'someone elses food', huh? We're hoping you don't get headwinds like we are having here. Your trip so far sounds wonderful. Too bad we aren't younger..........
    Guess we had our turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're having a good trip so far. We're keeping up with you and are enjoying the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping up with your ride! Safe traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Buddy,
    Left you a message on phone today. I have mapped out your bike route across country and am keeping track of your layover spots and progress.
    Currently, you have traveled 343 miles at a daily average of 57 miles/day. You said the total distance was 3700 miles. At your current pace, you would arrive in San Fran around 16 August.
    We are monitoring your progress closely and keeping up with where you are each day. Have fun out there and be careful. We are pulling for you to go all the way.
    Be sure and continue to tell us how many miles you went each day and where you are each night so we can keep track of you and log your progress. If you need something along the way, I could always jumpseat out and meet you somewhere. I know you will pass through Bardstown KY just southeast of L'ville for example. Let me know if you need help. Take care and good riding. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read these verses this morning (Sat.) and thought I would share them......Ps. 91:1-16, Ps. 121:1-8

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey tom, i found out today what your goal is and the trip you are making to reach the goal. all i have to say is WOW!!! you have always been an adventurer. I am praying for a safe and enjoyable trip. luv u like a brother too.

    ReplyDelete