View Tom's trip in a larger map

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 25

66 miles.  Houston to Marshfield.  Last night three more cyclists showed up to camp.  There were 6 of us in all.  Everyone else was headed east.  The last three guys to roll in have been on the road for three months already.  Today I ran into Spencer and Natasha along with their dog.  They're going from Kentucky to Utah.  They are on Walmart mountain bikes and Spencer pulls a trailer with the dog in it.  They might be the toughest cyclists that I have seen yet.  The terrain is getting a bit easier.  I think I have passed the worst of the Ozarks.   I kept my streak of going through detours in tact.  The second one today was the hardest.  I had to carry my bike past a big crane.  It saved me from having to ride an extra 11 miles.  I am camping in the city park again tonight.   






5 comments:

  1. Hey Tom,
    I did the math for Debbie and it looks like you should be in Gunnison on 7/20/11 if you maintain your current 60 mile/day average. Hang in there buddy. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know she probably told you that already but nobody had posted anything for today. Didn't want you to feel all alone out there. Seemed kinda sad actually. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it through the Ozarks! Hope you enjoy some flatter lands and a lot of wind at your back!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walmart bikes and a dog! Wow. That detour looks like a nightmare. Smooth sailing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wal Mart Bikes? Sure.

    But a dog, too?

    That's Granny Gatewood territory, there.

    ReplyDelete