View Tom's trip in a larger map

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 26

82 miles.  Marshfield to Golden City.  I had planned to stop earlier and stay at a hunting lodge but I got ambitious and decided to finish off the Ozark's for good.  After 25 days of mountains or hills I am finally in the flat lands.  I celebrated by putting it in the big ring and cranking it up to 21 mph for the last half hour. 
Golden City is a tiny place with one blinking red light in town but they have one of the most famous stops on the entire Trans Am, Cooky's Diner. They serve about 20 different types of homemade pies along with fantastic food.  I have had the blueberry pie so far but I will go back before they close tonight for some more.  I will also be back in the morning for breakfast.  They keep a log book for all of the cyclists to sign.  I can see then names of a bunch of the folks that I have met on the road along with cyclists from all over the world.  I will be camping in the park again tonight.  The money that I'm saving tonight on lodging will be invested in pies.            





2 comments:

  1. Man, that's my weakness, and the reason I ride as much as I do. You are going to have me out searching for a good lemon pie tonight and then a long ride tomorrow.

    Glad all is going well and you've hit the plains for a while. I hope the winds will be kind and in your favor. When do you hit the half way point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, all your memories of Golden City will be of Cookies pies, huh? Enjoy.......

    ReplyDelete