View Tom's trip in a larger map

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 29

71 miles.  Eureka to Newton.  I was worried about this section.  There were no services or places to stop for the last 38 miles.   I left at 5:15 and the wind was already blowing in my face.  I rode in the dark for nearly an hour.  It was slow going.  I finally felt like I had reached the west with open range land as far as you could see.  The wind started coming from the side and I made better progress.  I left the last store in Cassoday with 4 liters of water.  By 11:00 the heat was getting cranked up.  There was no shade so I just kept going.  I got to Newton just before 1:00.  The temperature was 109 when I got here.  I spent an hour and a half at KFC cooling off and making 4 trips through the buffet line.  A lot of beautiful country today. 







3 comments:

  1. Those roads look like you are the only one left in the state..........everyone else moved away. No wonder with those temperatures!!! Sure hope it cools off for you and you get a nice tailwind tomorrow..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be just about in the middle to the entire US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More pictures of abandonded 1949 chevrolet pickups, pls.

    ReplyDelete