View Tom's trip in a larger map

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 28

62 miles.  Chanute to Eureka.  Easy riding today.  I stopped in Toronto for breakfast at a cool little cafe.  I was the only one in the place.  So many of these small rural towns are being abandoned.  Eureka is a little bigger but the down town area is mostly empty.  I met John on the road today.  He is headed to Chicago.  He was the third person to tell me about Becky in Eureka.  She is the manager of the public pool in town.  She has become famous for not just hosting cyclists but seeking them out.  When I got to the pool one of her girls told me that her mom would want to see me.  She gave me directions to her home and told me to go and get something to eat.  She was already hosting another cyclist who had gotten sick on the road.  She has 5 kids of her own but still takes in travelers.  I decided not to stay since she already had another guest but she is one of the jewels of the Trans Am. 
The high forecasted for tomorrow is 106.     






2 comments:

  1. What generous and trusting people along the way. Don't like the sound of the temperatures you have ahead of you. Be careful of heat exhaustion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd stay at the public pool until sometime in early November when it cool's off....

    ReplyDelete