View Tom's trip in a larger map

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 38

65 miles.  Salida to Gunnison.   Today was the climb up Monarch pass, the highest point of the entire trip.  It started at just over 7000 feet in Salida and climbed to 11,312 at the top.  It really was not bad.  I did get excited when I came around a turn and finally saw the summit a few hundred yards away.  The decent was fantastic.  I rolled into Gunnison at 1:30 and am now at the beautiful home of my friends Jack and Elaine.  Tomorrow will be my first day off the bike since the start. 





7 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! Perfect time to enlarge them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up this morning with a bad thought in my head. Tom crossed the continental divide yesterday and he is well past halfway both in mileage and in days on the road. This is all happening too fast. Seems like the beginning of the end. SLOW DOWN, TOM. I need you to make this last a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, Alaska is still a long way off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll need an LHT to go that far.

    ----------------------------------------

    BTW, I have been recording American Idol for you on my Tivo. Rest easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom can't believe you're in the Rockies!I have been valiantly trying to figure out this blog comment section and have not been terribly successful... until Caroline and I worked cooperatively to success. Love the pics, keep posting Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I bike, therefore I TransAm"

    -- sticker seen on a blue Santana tandem during BRAG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. T.H. -- glad you got some help with the technology. I struggled with it myself for a few days.

    ReplyDelete